Saturday, October 24, 2009

Im working on my s.a.e for FFA and i what to crossbreed plants?

I want to do plants flowers to vegetables i just cant figure out how to get it started if there is a website or book on how to do this it would be very helpful. i kinda want to mixed peppers and tomatoes or a common lily with a orange rose. if there is anything please help =(
Say
FlowersBirthday FlowersSympathy FlowersWell, I was a botany major in college, but that was awhile ago and I'm a bit rusty. But.....


Plants aren't as picky about breeding as animals are. It's a bit easier to get fertile polyploidy and to get hybrids, for instance that are also fertile.


But......getting the hybrids, in every case I know of, works only with hybridizing species within the same plant family (for instance hybridizing apples and pears). Plants stand up well to grafting, also. You can graft cherries, pears, and apples interchangeably and get some pretty bizarre-looking trees that bear multiple types of fruits.


However......lilies and roses are from two different families, liliaceae and rosaceae. That'll never work. I forget the Linnean name of the family, but I'm thinking tomatoe is a nightshade and pepper I don't know about. Due to the structure of the fruits, they may be the same, I don't know. But if they're from different families you're out of luck.


Pretty much if you get a botany book that focuses on flowering plants (angiosperms), and gardening, you should be able to get a lot of the answers you need. Good luck!
Reply:You won't be able to crossbreed plants that are different - like lilies and roses. The chromosomes won't match up correctly, and it just won't work.affiliate reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment